I’m still not shooting much film lately, meh, not even shooting with my digital camera, thanks to the lovely C***D19.
But that roll of Fomapan 100 was waiting in my fridge for nearly a year and one beautiful weekend I managed to take some pictures, but I set the speed to ISO 50 – after reading online that this is closer to its real sensitivity.
One more reason to do it was that I wanted to try our new developer – Kodak HC110 (we were using TMax before).
I must say I am very happy with the places I visited and the shots I took on this film. I was using my Canon EOS 5 (aka A2) and a 16-35mm Canon lens with polarizer.
I developed it with Kodak’s dilution B, which according to Massive Dev Chart gave me an 8 minute long developing with continuous agitation (I managed 🙂 ).
As soon as the film dried I scanned it and you can see the results below. This time I also give an example before and after editing, but it was just a little touch of contrast and in some cases highlights and shadows balancing.
The grain? Very fine!
I will be doing this combo again in the future, I’m glad I tested this and I’m very happy to share the results with you.
By the end of May I ordered a couple of expired rolls of film from Narc and Ilford Delta 100 was the first one from the lot I tried. Its expiration date was January 1998, so I wasn’t sure of the results. I used it on my trip to Tomar, but most of the shots were taken in Lisbon. Below are a few examples (also posted on my Behance profile).
I think it’s OK to admit that I made a mistake. Mistake – because I didn’t change ISO on my camera after shooting a roll of Portra at ISO 160. So when I inserted a new roll of Ilford HP5+ it was shot at the wrong speed. Or “wrong”? I only realised this by the end of the roll, but it has been saved – by developing it shorter than standard ISO 400 roll of this kind. So basically I have a roll of Ilford HP5+ ISO 400 shot at ISO 160 and developed as ISO 200. Feel lost yet? 🙂 Fear not, it came out from the tank in a good shape. Check the result by yourself. And if you want to see more, check out the rest of the photos I liked on my Behance page: https://www.behance.net/gallery/97319531/Ilford-HP5-%28200%29
And now a bonus, because it brings good vibes. We met this man, the goat keeper, and he was very happy to allow us take a photo of him. Do you think he would be even happier, if he received a print of this picture? 🙂
Didn’t publish anything in here for a while, but doesn’t mean I am idle – at least not in photography 🙂 Using all this time spent at home I am shooting some more film. A roll of Portra and an expired Ektachrome 160T are waiting to be developed in a lab. But I finally developed a roll by myself. Well, almost by myself 😉 For a start I took a roll of Fomapan 400 – it’s cheap and if something goes wrong > out to the bin. So I didn’t really focus on finding amazing frames for this roll. But it turned out to be a beginner’s first success. Below you can find a few examples and the rest of good in my opinion frames you can find in my Behance profile: https://www.behance.net/gallery/96444293/Fomapan-400
Special thanks to a very talented photographer, Joana Rainer, who helped me with all this!
While I am writing this, there’s a roll of Ilford HP+ hanging in the bathroom drying and waiting to be scanned 🙂
I had about 2 hours to use on photographing and I decided I will go to Marques Pombal in Lisbon and walk around. The goal was to capture some buildings with pixação, but it turned out they have been cleaned. So I kept on going – from Marques Pombal along Avenida Liberdade to Restauradores and got some nice shots of other buildings in the area. This time all of them are in 1×1 format and in black and white. Enjoy 🙂
Finally got the film developed and scanned. It was with me since January…
Inês (@kalliekalynn) is a local girl I met last year during the 24 Hour Project and we kept in touch. It also turned out she is very talented, as she creates beautiful illustrations – you can check them out here: @kalliekalynnstuff
I was supposed to take my Canon A1 to this photoshoot, but just before loading the film I noticed it doesn’t work – broken shutter release. So I decided to take something more challenging with me – Agfa Silette. That camera is probably from the mid 1950’s, doesn’t have a built-in light meter, no way to check your focus is right, but hey! We were going to have fun with it anyway. Film I used was black and white Kodak Professional T-MAX 400.